Wednesday, July 3, 2024

I lost my voice three times that season

 I lost my voice three times that season,
my words coarsed like the edge of a page.
What, then, was the meaning of them? It doesn't
matter now. I loved
that people would ask me,
 
"How did you lose your voice?
Did you go to a concert?"
 
(There was an implied mystery,
and poets love mystery.)
 
They were right, of course --
I was a member of the most important audience
there is.
 
I went to concerts, and many places besides.
I stayed up, bobbing in Brazilian blue waters until sunrise,
trying to understand my new lover
in his native tongue. I rose-blushed in the sun
and let the blooms burst through my throat,
welcoming the pleasure.
 
I drove through canyons and dug out quartz.
I had an orgasm, I had an orgasm, I had an orgasm.
I wore my flesh like a wedding gown.
 
My voice rose on shaky feet to praise
youth and ecstasy, the time passing
through our collective savoring. The pleasure poured out of me
like wine, and I didn't mind
that I lost my voice three times
that season. 


© 2024. This work is openly licensed via CC BY-NC-ND.

No comments:

Post a Comment